Blogger Twitter

Call us 0344 893 2231

Please remember that the Moneyspider site will be closing soon. Please visit

Saving and investing in ISAs

ISAs are often referred to as “tax wrappers”. This means that you pay no tax, or less tax than usual, on the income you earn or on the profits you may make on your investments.

The different types of ISAs

ISAs (Individual Savings Accounts) were introduced by the government in 1999 to encourage people to save. There are two types:

  • Cash ISAs
  • Stocks and shares ISAs.

Cash ISAs

These are tax-free savings accounts. You can get them from banks, building socities and other providers.

Maximum annual allowance: £15,240 (from 6th April 2015).

Could I lose money? No, but the spending power of your savings could go down if interest rates don't keep up with inflation.

Tax: You don't pay any tax on the interest from your cash ISA.

Cash ISAs enable you to save money in bank or building society deposit accounts, National Savings and Investment Products, and any other products that aim to produce a cash-like return. Any interest earned is tax-free.

They may be more suitable for people who prefer not to take risks with their money. Although it is not possible to lose the money invested in cash ISAs, it is important to remember that inflation can erode the value of cash over time.

Making savings work harder

Stocks and shares ISAs

A stocks and shares ISA lets you invest tax efficiently in shares, gilts, corporate bonds, authorised funds (Unit Trusts and OEICs) and life insurance products.

Maximum annual allowance: £15,240 (from 6th April 2015).

Could I lose money? The value of your investment can go down as well as up. There are a range of different investment options, some carrying more risk than others.

Tax: You don't pay tax on capital gains or the dividends held inside your ISA.

Where to get one: Through Moneyspider. Click here to buy

By investing within a stocks and shares ISA, the tax you pay will be less than if you held the same investments outside an ISA (see below for further details on the taxbenefits).

It is important to be aware that the value of your investment can go down as well as up in line with the performance of the stock market. Therefore, stocks and shares ISAs are more likely to be suitable for people who are willing to accept some investment risk.


You can invest in an ISA if:

  • You are aged 16 or over. However, if you are under 18 you can only invest in a cash ISA. After your 18th birthday, you can invest in a stocks and shares ISA.
  • You are a resident of the United Kingdom for tax purposes.
  • You are a Crown employee currently working overseas and treated as a resident of the United Kingdom for tax purposes (e.g. diplomats, civil servants, members of the armed forces) or you are married to such a person.

But, you cannot hold an ISA jointly with another person or hold an ISA on behalf of another person.

Tax benefits

  • You do not have to declare your ISA on your tax return.
  • If you have a cash ISA, you do not pay income tax on any interest earned. This applies to all taxpayers (basic, higher and additional rate).
  • If you have a stocks and shares ISA, you do not have to pay any additional income tax on distributions. This means:
    • Higher rate tax payers (i.e. pay 40% income tax) do not have to pay the extra 32.5% income tax on dividends received from shares or equity funds that would normally be paid outside an ISA.
    • Additional rate taxpayers (i.e. pay 50% income tax) do not have to pay the extra 37.5% income tax on dividends received from shares or equity funds that would normally be paid if held outside an ISA.
    • If you hold corporate bonds or bond funds within an ISA that pay out interest distributions, you will be entitled to receive that interest (or “those distributions”) gross of tax or reclaim the savings tax of 20% (as appropriate).
    • Cash held temporarily in a stocks and shares ISA and any interest earned on that cash will be taxed at 20%. However, higher rate and additional rate taxpayers, who would otherwise suffer a 40% and 50% income tax hit, respectively, outside an ISA, will have no further tax liability.
  • You do not pay any Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on any gains made from an investment held within an ISA. However, you cannot offset any losses from yourISA investment against any gains made from non-ISA investments in order to reduce any Capital Gains Tax (CGT) owed.

The maximum amount you can save in an ISA

  • The maximum amount you can save in a cash ISA is £15,240 (less any amount paid into stocks and shares ISAs in the current tax year).
  • The maximum amount you can save in a stocks and shares ISA is £15,240 (less any amount paid into cash ISAs in the current tax year).
  • From 1 July 2014 your existing ISA automatically became a NISA, with a higher limit and more flexibility.
  • You can only have one cash ISA and one stocks and shares ISA per tax year, however your cash and stocks and shares ISA do not have to be with the same provider.

So, assuming you have the maximum annual allowance of £15,240 to invest in 2015/2016, you can choose to put all that investment into a stocks and shares ISA, or all of it into a cash ISA, or you can split it between a stocks and shares ISA and a cash ISA. For example, £6,000 in a cash ISA and £9,240 in a stocks and shares ISA, or £9,240 in a cash ISA and £6,000 in a stocks and shares ISA.

You can invest up to the maximum ISA allowance, either as a lump sum or by making regular payments into your ISA(s) (for example, £50 per month or more). Your ISA manager will be able to tell you what the minimum amount is that you can invest.

Withdraw as much as you wish and at any time

Money withdrawn will not be taxed. But always check the terms and conditions of the ISA first.

It is important to note that if you withdraw money from your ISA, it will still count towards the maximum ISA allowance for that tax year. You will not be able to put extra money back into the ISA in the same tax year to take you up to the maximum.

For example, if in 2015/2016 you invest £9,000 in a stocks and shares ISA and then withdraw £2,200, you would be able to put back in only £6,240, as this takes you up to the maximum contribution limit for the year of £15,240 (the original £9,000 plus the extra £6,240).

Where do I get an ISA?

Click here to buy or switch your ISAs using Moneyspider.

You have the right to cancel your ISA if you change your mind

You must notify the manager by returning the cancellation notice you receive from them, generally within 14 days of receipt.

Transfers during the tax year are permitted

For example, if you buy your ISA in the 2015/2016 tax year and then want to transfer to a new manager in the same year, you must move all the contributions you have already made into the ISA in 2015/2016. You will need to check that the new ISA manager is willing and able to accept the transfer.

You can switch from your current ISA to a new ISA

However, you should first check whether your current provider will impose a penalty.
Click here to visit our switch page, where we will rebate 50% of any commissions we receive from your fund manager, adding to your investment, and all the tax benefits will be maintained.

You can move money from an existing cash ISA(s) to your stocks and shares ISA

It will not count as part of the £15,240 annual allowance. For example, in 2015/2016 you could transfer £17,000 from your existing cash ISA(s) to a stocks and shares ISA and invest a further £15,240 without losing your tax-free benefits.

From 1 July 2014 you can also move money from a stocks and shares ISA to a cash ISA.

There is a system in place for handling complaints

First, take up your complaint directly with the ISA manager. If the manager is unable to satisfy your complaint, you can pursue the matter with the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Tell your ISA manager immediately if you have taken out too many ISAs in one tax year

They will ask you to contact HM Revenue and Customs, as in certain circumstances you may be able to keep your ISA open.


The value of the current tax relief depends on your individual circumstances. If you have any doubts about your tax position or whether or not an ISA is suitable for you, you should seek professional advice.

Further Information

If you would like to read more about unit trusts and open-ended investment companies (OEICs) or obtain details of your nearest financial adviser, then visit the Investment Management Association website, IMA, who have a range of free information.